written and posted by members of Lancashire Dead Good Poets' Society

Friday 3 November 2017

The Eighth Deadly Sin....Abuse

Abuse has hit the headlines for many months now. I'm looking at the subject from many different angles....

Abuse of one's own body. Either on purpose or because of a mental issue. Anorexia, self harm, drugs, alcohol. Lack of self worth, and self respect. Low self esteem, depression.

Abuse towards an animal. Leading to charities stepping in to prosecute and educate.

Abuse of a person's freedom...modern slavery. People trafficking. Taking advantage of some one else's despair.

Abuse of the system. Dealing outside the law. Avoiding responsibilities and thinking actions are admissible.

Abusing one's position...either as a respected member of society, a so called 'celebrity ', in a leadership position.

Abuse towards another person. Regardless of the age, relationship or gender of those involved.




   My poem today reflects the life of a good friend of mine.

                                            HER LIFE

               Don't hit me !
               I'll do all that you say.
               Then I'll go to my room,
               And there I'll spend the day.

               Don't call me names.
               I'll turn my face away.
               Then I'll go to my room
               And there I'll spend the day.

               Don't say I'm fat -
               Five stone eight is all I weigh.
               So I'll go to my room
               And there I'll spend the day.

               Don't turn the heating off -
               I think I'll pass away.
               Instead I'll go to my room
               And there I'll spend the day.

               Don't be nasty to my friends,
               They'll turn and go away,
               Then I'll go to my room,
               And there I'll spend the day.

               Don't leave me without money-
               I've bills I need to pay,
               After which I'll go to my room
               And there I'll spend the day.

               Don't open my windows wide,
               And expose me to sea spray.
               I can't then stay in my room,
               Where I usually spend the day.

               Don't think that I'm not hurting -
               I'll fight back these lonely tears-
               I'll break free from my room,
               Where I've spent too many years.

   
       Thanks for reading. Kath

1 comments:

Steve Rowland said...

Abuse (in all its forms) is certainly a worthy candidate for the eighth deadly sin. This made harrowing reading, Kath.